“So there’s gonna be bits about science and then things about me. The bits about science will help you understand about me and it’s really important that you do, so you might want to take notes.”
★★★★ – The Scotsman
“This is a beautiful gem of a show … the script is frequently hilarious, punctuated by moments of sincerity and pathos.” ★★★★ – Three Weeks
“The Soaking of Vera Shrimp is sad and magical. One that plucks at the heartstrings and sparks the imagination, telling an inventive and original story. I have rarely been made to feel so sympathetic and protective over a character as I was for Vera Elizabeth Shrimp … a gem of the Fringe.” – The Absent Review
★★★★ “a sparkling solo show … an utter delight” – The List
★★★★ – Broadway Baby
“Carr’s touching, direct play is a reminder of how bad we can be at dealing with bereavement” – Lyn Gardner, The Guardian
“achingly beautiful and utterly compelling” ★★★★ – The Telegraph
★★★★ “vivid, funny, heart wrenching and original” – Fest
“Vera Shrimp is a great example of powerful storytelling, where one actor can capture the audience’s imagination and touch their hearts. A funny, charming and touching piece about grief, emotions and the beauty of youth, a gem.” ★★★★ – Across The Arts
“vivid in both its writing and its delivery” ★★★★ – EdinburghGuide
Presented by Rosie & Me in association with Live Theatre at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2015.
Writer Alison Carr. Director Rosie Kellagher. Performer Tessa Parr. Designer Emily James. Asst. Director Caroline Donald. Sound Designer Nick Williams. LX Designer & Technician Craig Spence.
During an almighty rainstorm, Vera Shrimp discovers she has a remarkable gift. She can read raindrops, each one having soaked up an emotion from those the water has come into contact with. But as her family disintegrates, Vera’s extraordinary ability takes on a darker and more urgent significance. Part science lesson, part story-telling, this is a poignant and playful solo-show about love, grief and never giving up.
Shortlisted, the National Octagon Prize “A beautiful piece of writing; playful, clever, interspersed deftly with sadness and joy.” – Deborah Dickinson, Associate Producer, Octagon Theatre
Photographs by Mark Slater
– News and previews –
- PREVIEW | The List “Following a critically and commercially successful run of Fat Alice at the Traverse, Alison Carr is introducing her latest creation to Edinburgh audiences this August …” [read more]
- We are delighted to announce that Tessa Parr will be reprising her role as Vera for the Edinburgh run of the show. Tessa originated the role last year at Live Theatre. Her performance was praised as “fresh”, “vital” and “beautiful”.
- PREVIEW | British Theatre Guide “The North East at the Fringe … ” [read more]
- PREVIEW | Broadway World “Vera Shrimp to play Edinburgh Fringe …” [read more]
We’d like to thank our backers & supporters | Live Theatre, Chris G, Catherine Hope, James Runcie, Jules Horne, Fiona Barbour, Helen Cooper, Sylvia Dow, Stuart Laidler, Susan Meiklejohn, Pam & Nick Murr, Kate Wilkins, Laura Cardos, Dianne Edwards, Chris Heckles, Jackie Lye, Debbie Bolam, Karen Elliott, Kath Frazer, Dave Bailey, Sally Anne Cooper, Gordon Craig, Eileen Davidson, Julia Giles, Sarah McLane, Steve McMahon, Natalie, Bob Parr, Lorna Slater, Fiona Veith Smith, Steven Watterson, Chris Wicks, Andy Aiken, Gez Casey, Gillian Firth, Keith Fleming, Sean Jones, Pete McAndrew, Annie Rigby, Viktoria, Roz Wyllie, Matthew Aldridge, Noreen Rees and the People’s Theatre.
– THE JOURNEY TO THIS POINT!! –
Following some work-in-progress showings in 2013, The Soaking of Vera Shrimp went on to win the Live Theatre/The Empty Space Bursary Award and was redeveloped into a brand new show that was previewed at Live Theatre, 15-18 October 2014.
★★★★ – Remote Goat
“quirky and unique” – Northern Lights
“a powerful exploration of one young woman’s place in society” – NE Theatre Guide
“Vera is played by Parr with a freshness, vitality, humour and vulnerability” – British Theatre Guide
“elegant, sweet and touching” – audience member
“beautiful and fascinating, really well told” – audience member
“I loved meeting Vera” – audience member
Cast & Crew
Vera – Tessa Parr
Director – Rosie Kellagher
Designer – Emily James
Sound Designer – Nick Williams
Stage Manager – Victoria Copeland
Technician – Craig Spence
Set construction – Big House Events
PREVIEW | The Chronicle – “Live Theatre showcases The Soaking of Vera Shrimp” 15.10.14
PREVIEW | The Journal – “audiences prepare for a downpour of emotions” 14.10.14
PREVIEW | The British Theatre Guide – “Vera gets soaked again” 3.10.14
– THE JOURNEY TO THIS POINT! –
- 17/12/13: Vera Shrimp is named the winner of the Live Theatre/Empty Space bursary 2013
- November 13: Vera Shrimp MARK 2 is awarded 1 of 4 Empty Space/Live Theatre bursaries to support the next phase of its development. One of the companies will be selected to receive the full bursary after a work-in-progress Scratch Night in Dec. Click [here] for the details
- 26/7/13: Watch our VIDEO from the preview
- 20/7/13: Read what some of the preview audiences had to say
- 1/7/13: Watch our previews TRAILER
Grants for the Arts funding from Arts Council England and the National Lottery was awarded to support the creation and development of The Soaking of Vera Shrimp.
We are also grateful for the support from ARC, Live Theatre, Northern Stage and The People’s Theatre who provided rehearsal space and/or opportunities for the work-in-progress preview performances.